26.5.09

Tour or Tour?

Now, I know that the word "tour" as in "I once was on tour through the human body a la The Fantastic Voyage" is pronounced "too-er." But once upon a time, a bunch of idiots that I barely know (as in, lived in close proximity to for 2 years) were convinced that it was pronounced "tore." Which is the French pronunciation of it, as in "The Battle of Tours took place in the first millennium A.D." Which is what I told them at the time, but those idiots, you know, they're really stubborn and they outnumbered me three to one (well, 2.5 to 1, cause one was really short. I won't name names here, Mike), so I just kept silent on it, because I had no outside evidence, just my word for it.

At the time, I suspected that they had been taught to say it frog-style by their parents as some sort of cruel joke that parents invent. I now know that I was right.

I was listening to Death Cab for Cutie (iTunes DJ. It's not like I scour my library for instances of the word "tour" appearing in song. I mean, I have a separate playlist for that.) when suddenly I heard the word "tourists" pronounced "too-rists" not "tore-ists." That's right, the lead singer of Death Cab for Cutie pronounces it the same way that I say it. The song is "Why You'd Want to Live Here." You can listen to it for yourself to see that I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment